Header

Header

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Snow

When I left The Netherlands first of June this year I promised myself that I would allow myself to fly back to visit my friends and family every once in awhile. Today is that day, I'm flying home! I'm really excited to go home and hug everybody! 

When I get back to Canada mid December, there should be enough snow to start skiing and snowboarding. The first runs have already been opened, but the conditions are just not really good yet. Plus, all my gear is still at my parents' place. So, nothing better to do then to hike. Haha, yes, hiking again! I just can't help loving the mountains. And really, it is BEAUTIFUL to hike in snowy mountains! 

Two weeks ago I went up Elk and Thurston mountain near Chilliwack. Driving there we were wondering if we needed boots, or if shoes would be sufficient. "Will there be snow?" "Maybe a little?" "It did rain last nights, it might have been snow up there?"
When we got closer it seemed there was a bit of snow on the peaks. Once we starting hiking however, it turned out there was loads of snow. In some parts we would sink in untill our knees!
Most people had micro spikes (those are like snow chains for your shoes) and gaiters (Gamaschen, to avoid snow getting into your boots), but dutch as I am (meaning: not wanting to spend the money for all that fancy equipment) I wasn't that well prepared... So on the steep parts I had a bit more trouble walking without slipping and I had drenched socks at the end of the hike, but that did not lower my spirits at all. Happy as a little kid I was stomping through the snow, once in a while letting out a cry of happiness to "greet the first fresh snow of the season". Apparently I was acting totally non-Canadian as my fellow hikers asked me if I had ever seen snow, or if The Netherlands ever gets snow... he he.  




Last weekend my good friend Alex from Ottawa was in Vancouver for work. We managed to do a morning hike together to spend some time. I invited another new friend, Kerstin, who I am growing fond of as she is as crazy and uncomplicated as I am. And it was just really nice to do a Sunday morning hike with them as company.


Kerstin (totally not) feeding the birds
(Never feed the wild life!)
Top of Black mountain

Ok, my face might look hilariously distorted, but the view is amazing!


1 comment:

  1. That hike was exactly what I needed to recharge from a very intense and tiring week. The trail was just amazingly beautiful, and the strong sun made it so warm, I couldn't believe it was winter :)

    Thanks for taking us up the hill, and for a great inexpensive sushi meal!

    ReplyDelete